Across the finance industry, there’s been an increase in fraudulent and imposter activity, and SoFi has not been spared. With that in mind, we wanted to take a moment to remind you where SoFi operates, how to recognize a scam, and how to report anything you think is suspicious so that we can continue to help keep you on the path to financial independence.
Where SoFi Operates
At this time, SoFi’s lending products including Personal Loans, Home Loans, and Student Loans are only available in the United States, while SoFi Money is also only available in the USA. SoFi offers its Invest platform in Hong Kong. Anything claiming to offer SoFi products outside of these geographical locations is a scam! This includes anyone posing as “SoFi India”, “SoFi China” or any other location outside of the United States and Hong Kong.
How to Recognize Scams
There’s a few different ways to spot a scam. Here are just a few pointers:
Look & Feel
• Double check that SoFi logo – the circles should be going up and to the right! And we stay consistent to our SoFi brand blue colors.
• If on social media, look for the blue verified checkmark and username “SoFi.”
• Does the interface look familiar? The official mobile app for SoFi can only be found in the Apple Store and the Google Play Store. Please reference those links for a visual on what our official SoFi app looks like and compare.
• As of now, we only operate in USD and HKD. Any website or app with an interface in terms of ₹ Rupees, ¥ Yuan, or other currencies claiming to be SoFi is not legitimate.
Contact Details & Messaging
• And same with the contact information – legitimate representatives of SoFi will have an email address ending in @sofi.com or @sofi.org.
• As much as our CEO Anthony Noto loves our members, he’d never text or privately message you on social media. His only official social media account is @AnthonyNoto on Twitter.
• Even if you do win a giveaway that you forgot you entered, SoFi would never privately message you on social media and ask that you provide your account login information. Our customer service team does ask for email address, full name, and date of birth for verification sometimes, but would never request your password.
• While our customer service team can be reached in a variety of ways (phone, email, live chat, social media) and SoFi Hong Kong uses WhatsApp as well, please double check the number and email address of the message to see if they match with our official contact information: official USA contact info here and official Hong Kong contact info here.
What Is SoFi Doing About This?
For the impersonating social media accounts, we work with our partners at social media platforms to remove those ASAP. For the impersonating companies and mobile apps, we work with our security team to do everything we can to take them down ASAP.
How to Report Scammers
If you suspect a scam or have any concerns about this, please stop providing any of your private information immediately and contact our customer service team with screencaps and other details at [email protected]. If it’s a impostor social media account, please DM our official account @SoFi on any platform.
If it’s an imposter communicating in Chinese, please contact SoFi Hong Kong. If you’re outside of the United States, we also recommend that you report to the local authorities.
Photo credit: iStock/shapecharge
SoFi Money® is a cash management account, which is a brokerage product, offered by SoFi Securities LLC. Member FINRA/SIPC. Neither SoFi nor its affiliates are a bank. The SoFi Money Debit Mastercard® is issued by The Bancorp Bank pursuant to license by Mastercard International Incorporated and can be used everywhere Mastercard is accepted. Mastercard is a registered trademark, and the circles design is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated. Diversification is not a guarantee of protection from loss. SoFi can’t guarantee future financial performance. Brokerage and Active investing products offered through SoFi Securities LLC, member FINRA/SIPC. Advisory services are offered through SoFi Wealth, LLC an SEC-registered Investment adviser. Loans originated by SoFi Lending Corp. or an affiliate (dba SoFi). Licensed by the California DFPI, CFL #6054612, NMLS #1121636 (www.nmlsconsumeraccess.org). Equal Housing Lender. The SoFi Credit Card is issued by The Bank of Missouri (TBOM) (“Issuer”) pursuant to license by Mastercard® International Incorporated and can be used everywhere Mastercard is accepted. Mastercard is a registered trademark, and the circles design is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated. Additional terms, conditions, state restrictions apply; see SoFi.com/eligibility for details. 2750 E. Cottonwood Parkway #300 Cottonwood Heights, UT 84121. ©2021 Social Finance, Inc. All rights reserved. Information as of January 2022 and is subject to change.
Apple and the Apple logo are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google Inc.